Foley Centennial Park

Kathryn Taylor MMC, City Clerk

The city clerk provides general support and manages and directs many administrative and governmental aspects of the city.

251-943-1545 (phone)
251-952-4014 (fax)

Location & Hours
Foley City Hall
407 E. Laurel Avenue, Foley, AL 36535
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 1750, Foley, AL 36536

Election Resources:

Alabama Voter ID Guide
State of Alabama Official Election Center
2020 City of Foley Voting Districts Map
Municipal Absentee Ballot

If I want to run for municipal office, what is the time period for qualifications?
Candidates may begin qualifying once notice is published, which is the first Tuesday in July. For more information regarding qualifications see Code of Alabama, 1975, Section 11-46-22(a) and 11-46-25(g). The candidacy period runs fifteen days.

When is the municipal election?
Municipal elections are held every four years on the fourth Tuesday in August. For more information regarding these elections see the Code of Alabama, 1975, Section 11-43-2.

How much is the qualification fee?
The qualification fee is $50.00. If you have any questions regarding the qualification fee, call the city clerk’s office at 251-943-1545.

How often do citizens vote for a new mayor and council?
In the State of Alabama municipal elections are held every four years on the fourth Tuesday in August. If a runoff is declared it is held on the third Tuesday after the general election.

How is my voting district determined?
The voting district is based on the physical address in which you live, not where you work.

2020 City of Foley Voting Districts Map

Who can vote?
Persons can vote if they are a registered and qualified voter of the State of Alabama who has resided within the corporate limits of the municipality for 30 days or more immediately preceding the date of the election and are qualified to vote in the County precinct which embraces and covers that part of the municipality in which the elector resides. Section 11-46-22, Code of Alabama 1975.

What is the deadline for registering to vote?
The deadline for registering to vote is fourteen days prior to any election.

Where do I go to vote?
All City of Foley citizens vote at the Foley Sports Tourism Events Center for the upcoming municipal election, regardless of whether it is for mayor, council or some type of new law that will be enacted. Exceptions are annexation referendums, which always take place in the affected subdivision or area involved (those annexations that are not contiguous). The Foley Sports Tourism Events Center is located at 1001 East Pride Avenue, Foley, Alabama.

Listed below are the required documents and the procedure for requesting annexation into the City of Foley.

  • A completed Annexation Petition Form.
  • A copy of the recorded deed showing ownership.
  • A legal description of the property.
  • A land map indicating the property location and the tax map parcel number.
  • A letter from the landowner requesting annexation and indicating the type of zoning desired for the property. (In the letter, be sure to include your mailing address and phone number.)
  • If a corporation or LLC is requesting annexation, a copy of the Articles of Incorporation or LLC documents must be included.
  • A check payable to the City of Foley for $250 for initial zoning fees.

Mail the completed forms to:

City Clerk’s Office
City of Foley
P.O. Box 1750
Foley, Alabama 36536

Upon receipt of the above, the legal descriptions will be forwarded for review by the city planner, city engineer, environmental manager and GIS specialist. They will verify the legal description and make a recommendation to City Council based on their findings. Then an annexation ordinance will be prepared and presented to the council for first reading. At the first reading, the council refers the zoning request to the Planning Commission. The Planning Commission sets a public hearing, which is advertised for three consecutive weeks, at their next meeting.

After the public hearing the Planning Commission then forwards a zoning letter back to council recommending action (approval or denial) of the zoning request. The City Council will then set a public hearing for initial zoning of the property.

The Notice of Public Hearing is published in the local newspaper for two (2) consecutive weeks fifteen days prior to the public hearing, which takes place immediately preceding the City Council meeting. If no objections are heard at the public hearing, the second reading of the ordinance will be considered at that night’s City Council meeting and adopted.

The ordinance will then be published again in the local newspaper and recorded at the County Probate Office, which completes the annexation procedure.

The process usually takes approximately two (2) months to finalize, depending on when the petition is received, and how the Planning Commission’s monthly meeting falls in line with City Council meetings. The City Council meets on the first and third Monday of each month and the Planning Commission meets on the third Wednesday of every month.

It is important to note that petitioners have no right to vote in any elections that petitioners would be entitled to vote in as a result of the proposed annexation until the city has completed the redistricting process prior to the following election year.

For more information, call Katy Taylor or Kate Embry in the Foley City Clerk’s Office at 251-943-1545.

City Council Meetings and Work Sessions
The City Council meets every first and third Monday of the month, at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers.* Council Work Sessions are held in the Conference Room at 4:00 p.m. prior to the council meeting unless otherwise stated on the council agendas.

*If meeting dates fall on a holiday the meeting is usually rescheduled for the following day.

Deadlines for Work Session and Council Meeting Agenda Items
The deadlines for the meeting agenda submissions are no later than 5:00 p.m. the Monday prior to the council meeting, regardless of holidays that fall on a Monday.

Agenda Requests
If a business, civic organization or individual wants to request to be placed on the agenda a City Council Agenda Request form must be filled out in its entirety and returned as soon as possible. The form is sent to the council president and mayor for their review prior to being placed on a work session agenda. If they determine that more information or a meeting is needed, a staff member from the clerk’s office will make contact and confirm an appointment time.

Council Agenda Request Form

What do I do when I get to the meeting?
Before the meeting starts, print your name and address on the sign-up sheet located on the table in front of the Council Chamber doors. When you are recognized by the council president, walk to the podium and state your name and address clearly for the record. Please address your remarks to the council as a group, rather than to an individual member of the council, city staff or audience.

How can I speak at a city council meeting?
If you would like to address the council on any subject, you may do so during a regular city council meeting or a work session during the Visitors Comments portion of the agenda. If comments are related to a public hearing, public comments are encouraged during the official public hearing, which is a separate agenda item regarding a specific issue. Hearings are listed prior to the council meeting being called to order.

To contact the City Clerk, please submit your questions and/or comments below.